Monday 22 April 2019

Classic Orks

Back when I started the blog, I mentioned I used to have a Space Marine Army that I sold many years ago, in 1999 approximately.
I also used to have an Orc Army for Warhammer Fantasy, also sold.
But what I did not mention, I believe, was that at the same time that I collected an Ultramarines Army, I collected an Ork Army using the Goffs from the second edition box.
The other day, rustling around in my bits box, I stumbled upon a few Orks that I did not sell back in the day, so I have decided to share them here so everybody can feast their eyes upon them.

Remember, they were painted some time around 1995 and 1996. Back in that time, there was no Internet available full of tutorials, articles and videos explaining how to paint. Materials were not so easily available, especially for someone living in a small town like me, and the only chance to get news was once per month when the White Dwarf was coming. In fact, I clearly remember that I only had 3 or 4 pots of Citadel paints and I was mainly using humbrol paints and regular brushes that you could get in any art shop, intended to be used in much bigger objects, and not suitable for miniatures. The results of all of this mixed together speak for itself.

Here are the four Orks and one Gretchin that I still have from that time in all their glory.

Classic Plastic Goff from 2nd ed. 40k Box

This one was painted years after the first one, I remember I had improved a lot, the colours are much better laid off.
I was trying to go for a variant of the classic 'Eavy Metal Scheme for the Plastic Goffs, shown here:



This one is a tin one, quite nice model in fact.

Another nice classic Sculpt
Plastic Gretchin with so much paint on its upper body that it is a single blob.

After finding these, a wave of nostalgia swept me and I decided to put aside 1 hour of my painting time to give a Plastic Goff Ork a go following a similar scheme to the one I used back in 1996. Here it is, painted in 2019.




We can consider this my taken on the 10 year challenge, although in this case it's the 23 year challenge... Of course it is a bit unfair, as the one of the left was painted to the best of my skills and the one of the right just limited to one hour in between painting red Terminators :)

It has been great to paint Orks again, I must admit, maybe I should look into making a Kill Team...



No comments:

Post a Comment