Monday, April 24, 2017

Dreadnought

I was not planning on getting another Dreadnought, but it came with a package deal I bought from a friend, so I could not say no.
I painted already two of these, back in March 2016, so I tried to match this one to the same style.
It is not the Betrayal at Calth plastic model, but rather the Forgeworld Sons of Horus model, which has plenty of details compared to his counterparts.
Again, in this model I tried to minimize the weathering, compared to the other two, and I used pigments and enamels for it, so I believe the weathering here looks a bit more realistic, even though it is still too much, I need to keep trying.

I have magnetized both arms so I can choose the weapons.


For this picture I have chosen a Chainfist and a Volkite Culverin, which I believe I had not shown here earlier.




This adds 125 points to the Army, depending on the weapons chosen.
Painted in 2017.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Legion Apothecaries

Today I am showing a quick paint job for two figures that have been present in all the lists I have played so far, the Apothecaries!
Usually this investment always pays out.
I have painted them in the usual style, but trying to use less weathering effects, as I am trying really hard to minimize the battle damage to something a bit more realistic. I have not managed it, yet.





These two gentlemen cost 45 points each.

Painted in 2017.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Abaddon and Loken

For today I am sharing the fabulous kit from Forge World for Abaddon and Loken.

I have made a small change, which is placing Loken in a bigger base as when it was released the bases for marines were still the smaller ones.
Because of this, Loken no longer fits in the hole of the bigger scenic area, but I think it is still worth it as I will use him out of the scenic base most of the time.

I have painted Loken in the classic green armour, and I have tried to keep the damage to the bare minimum compared to other marines from my Army.  I have applied several layers of enamel to make the weathering on the cape smoother, hopefully achieving a nice effect.





Abaddon is painted in the black of the Justaerin, with a red shoulder pad, which will be how I will paint the remainder Cataphractii Terminators I have.


Not a great success, but I am still learning wet blending. Every now and then I try new techniques, so that I keep improving bit by bit



Here you can see the scenic base view. On the left the base of Loken is clearly too big for that gap.




And finally here is a comparison between Abaddon from Horus Heresy and the one from Games Workshop, which I showed in a post here. It seems that 10,000 years makes your head shrink!


Abaddon costs 215 points and Loken 175. I hope to paint soon the Justaerin and field them in the battlefield!

Painted in 2017

Monday, April 3, 2017

Skaven project: final thoughts

I started this project back in February 2015 and painted the last miniature during December 2016, although I published it in February 2017 due to some time constraints to take photos and prepare the blog posts.

So in a roughly two years I have painted 200 rats more or less and accumulated around 5000 points for 4th ed. and around 3000 for 3rd ed!!!
I know that for most people that is not a very impressing speed, but for my standard, finishing a big project in ~2 years, is quite the accomplishment so I am really satisfied with it.

It has been an incredible ride, to be honest.
Collecting a pure oldhammer Army (except for ~10 figures) is a challenging task, well suited for veterans in this hobby I would say, but not easier to follow it through. I have seen many posts in the Oldhammer Facebook Group from people just selling their projects in the middle, because it is too demanding.
It is much easier to just go to your shop and grab as many boxes and blisters as you need, but with an Oldhammer project you need to constantly search ebay, facebook and forums for miniatures.

It took me about 2-3 months to find some particular models, but the moment you have them, you paint them, and add them to the Army is quite regarding.
I have been lucky to get in touch to very good collectors through the Oldhammer Facebook Group who have helped me get the most difficult models. I have to say that the Oldhammer Community is probably the best Warhammer Community I have ever been part of.
On the not so good side, you also have some other times when you buy a big lot and find out that some of the figures are clones, or they are in a very bad shape. Or some other times when you see the miniatures being traded by two or three times their real value, the prices on the overall Oldhammer market have been raising quite sharply since 2014 at least, which is when I started to look into it. And as they have told me, they have been sky rocketing since 2010, let's see how far we get.

Although I am officially closing this project now, I could still grow it a bit more.
If I were to use it right now in Warhammer 8th ed. or The Ninth Age, I believe I would need to add a few more slaves, another unit of gutter runners, a few more rat ogres, possibly a few more clanrats and also I would like to create another one of those giant standards... but I have reached the original goal so it is time to close and focus on the next projects.

I did not manage to take a good Army picture, even though I tried with many different sources of light, in the end I settled for these three takes with a mix of natural light and artificial.