Monday 25 July 2022

Hive Tyrant


I present the last miniature -for now- of the Tyranid project, the Hive Tyrant!

I actually finished painting him sometime mid-June but not until today I got him out of storage with all the others to take some pictures.

When doing so I realized that the matt varnish layer I applied right at the end has ruined completely the paint job. This is very frustrating, it's the second time that it happens and it somehow looks like a fine dust layer on top of the whole miniature, especially visible on the dark blue areas. I tried removing it with all sort of products but it also takes away the paint, so the only real solution is to repaint the more damaged areas, which is something I am not willing to do for now.

Aside from that, you can see that I took a bit more of time on him compared to the other bugs. I still followed the same techniques and tried to paint him fast, but did a few extra steps for some additional highlights.

Arms are magnetized so I can choose between rifle or claws.

For the wings, after looking at many different pictures of very nicely painted Hive Tyrants, I decided to go for a pattern that I could simulate with the stippling technique which I am trying to get better at, while at the same time giving it some kind of flesh-y look. On top of it I added a few veins which I think adds a nice touch.

Painted in 2022









No comments:

Post a Comment