Thursday 8 December 2022

Legion Tactical Squad (IV)

To be honest, after having painted my last Tactical Squad in 2017, I was not expecting to come back to them...

My last Sons of Horus post was in 2018, when I showed the complete Army. In all honestly, the Army is finished, but I could not help myself when the new version was released. I have added a few things to the Army just because I love the miniatures. A Squad shown here, a Dreadnought, a Praetor and then two tanks, a Falchion and a Land Raider Spartan. I expect to show all miniatures until the end of the year but the tanks will need to wait for 2023.

Before I started to paint them I took out a few of my old miniatures and checked them thoroughly, I was appalled by the low quality! I wanted to make sure the new ones could easily mix with the old ones, but that meant painting them to a very low standard. I already checked the scale creep and that is ok, so I just needed to keep the same style. Luckily for me I had still exactly the same paints I used last time so it was easier.

This time around I tried to tune down the weathering since it was quite extreme in the old miniatures. I also noticed that I chose not to use any transfers back then, so this time around I also did all symbols freehand. One thing I changed on purpose was to keep the unit consistent in terms of pauldron colours and symbols, while in the old ones I was happily mixing everything, I think I just got bored of painting so many marines. I also magnetized the vexilla and speakers.

Back in 2017, I was applying a green coat to the armour, then a green wash and then highlighting again all pieces of the armour. This was a very slow time consuming process. This time around I just painted the whole miniature with flat colours and applied washes, pigments and enamels, then cleaned it up with white spirit. After that, a few details were painted and the miniature was ready. I think the end result is quite similar in terms of quality but 10x faster. You can see a couple of pictures of before/after applying the washes, but just before the clean-up with white spirit.

Painted in 2022







2 comments:

  1. Gran trabajo el que has realizado con los daños de batalla. Parecen marines fogueados, pero sin caer en el abuso, que los puedan convertir en caricaturas. Y encima usando las técnicas que comentas, has ahorrado un montón de tiempo. No se puede pedir más, bueno, bonito y rápido. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! En realidad querría haber hecho menos daños de batalla pero hubieran cantado mucho comparado con los viejos, por lo que he tenido que conformarme con un término medio.

      Delete