Monday 14 March 2022

Goku

Back in 2016, at the Hispania Wargames, with each ticket they were giving out a limited edition Son Goku sculpted by RN Estudio. I did not go there, but DarthBLU managed to get a couple of them and gifted one to me.

The miniature is based on the following famous image of Goku reaching Super Saiyan in Namek after Frieza having killed Krillin.


DarthBLU painted his in 2020, and challenged me to paint mine back. It took me a couple of years but I finally sat down to it!

I was very inspired by his version as I think he captured quite well both the colours and the landscape from Namek, so I tried to use the same ones on mine.

The miniature is brilliant, although quite tiny (you can see a picture below next to a 2-cent coin). I did not need to fill up any problem with green stuff or to remove any extra resin leftover, like with Citadel Finecast, it was simply put, perfectly printed. You cannot buy this miniature anymore, as far as I know, which is a pity, because I'd love to have more of them!

I had only two things in my head when painting him: light & contrast!

I wanted to use very bright colours to make sure the miniature would not be as bland or matt as my miniatures usually look like. So I chose very bright blues, bright reds and pale yellows. At the same time, I knew that the key to make the miniature look great is having the right contrast level achieved, so I tried to go to maximum lights in all areas that I could think of, with a zenital approach.

I am quite satisfied with the end result. I could have done a smoother transition on the skin, but I am still fine with it. Unfortunately, my skills as painter are better as my skills as photographer so the pictures are not really good, they show much more abrupt transitions than what one would see when holding the miniature in hand.




Lastly I ask DarthBLU to apply the energy aura for a very cool looking last picture.

Painted in 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment