Wednesday 24 February 2021

Black Templars Kill Team (I)

Back when I started to play Kill Team I decided I wanted to have a Space Marine Kill Team as spare one. In case someone wants to play and does not own a team. It is an easy to play and learn if you keep it to the basic so it's an overall good choice.

I wanted them to be Primaris only, mostly because I had never painted one, but I was not sure which Chapter to choose from.

I started to browse Instagram for inspiration and I almost decided on Salamanders until I found the amazing work of k03rnl. That is when I decided to build a Black Templars team.

Just look at his posts to understand what I mean :)

As for the painting, I chose to follow the Grimdark Blanchitsu style. I have tried my best to replicate the style used by k03rnl. Rather than super crisp details and edge highlights, the focus is on the grim atmosphere and the right choice of colours. See some examples of what I mean here, here and here.

It is very interesting to paint with this set of techniques and I had a blast painting these three marines, it is also pretty fast to be honest, something I was not expecting at all.

I did some minor conversions here and there to add a little bit more of character to them. I used the tentacle tool from GreenStuffWorld which is great for conversions. As for the bases, I wanted to try my best at creating a ruined base without too many details and just some old newspapers or posters lying around. I followed the technique described in this article, which made me go into a shop to buy cigarette rolling paper for the first time in my life :)

I am happy with how the bases turned out although in some cases I applied either too much ink or too little, and the paper absorbed it. I need to get the gist of it yet. In any case, I will be using it again to add some additional atmosphere to my Walking Dead bases, some time in the far future.

I have another five marines to paint, as soon as my schedule allows for it for a total of 8-man squad.

Painted in 2021









No comments:

Post a Comment