Monday 13 July 2020

HeroQuest: Gargoyle

And here it is, the final dungeon monster!
To be very honest, I was not sure how to paint it.
I had several options on my head:

  • First option, paint it as a stone monster.
  • Second option, paint it is a flesh monster.
  • Other option was to buy another Gargoyle and paint one as a stone statue and the other one as a flesh monster.
  • And lastly, I thought about painting it in the middle of a conversion from stone to flesh, in a similar manner like many Tau Kill Teams have been painted.
In the end, I have chosen option one. Mainly because the other option I liked, which is painting it while converting would look too fancy for the style I am using for the board game. In any case, I want to try and paint that effect sometime. It just looks too cool.

As inspiration, I have tried to paint it like this one. Check the article, it has the paint recipe as well as a full explanation as to why it is really a stone statue, including pictures.

As I wanted to try that terracotta colour rather than the usual grey, I need to test out several paint combinations to see how well would it work. Luckily, a couple of old monopose goblins came to the rescue!
Here you can see my first attempt, with the colours used for it.



Not too bad, but too pale in fact.

Second attempt, with a much more reduced colour palette.



In the comparison picture, you can see that the one on the right looks better.
And lastly, here are the colours I end up using.

  1. Base coat with brown
  2. Sponged with flat grey
  3. Sparingly dry-brushed with Orange and generously dry-brushed with pale grey
  4. Tiny highlights with Bone



For the sword, I used my usual recipe for old gold and for the whip I used the same technique as seen in the other article. I really liked the whip with a spotty gradient to simulate heated metal. My only regret is that I applied to much white to it but hey, I learned how to do it so I can now replicate it hopefully better in the future!


Now that all the bad guys are painted, let's go for the heroes!

Painted in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment