Monday 25 March 2019

Space Hulk: Terminators (I)

Today I bring the first two terminators from Space Hulk, after having painted already all the Genestealers.
I have chosen similar techniques as for the Xenos, but because of the level of detail of these figures, I have decided to limit it to 2 hours per miniature instead of the 1 hour limit I had before. Still, nowhere near the time I would need to do a proper job, but if I ever want to have my collection painted, I'd rather paint faster with lower quality than slower and leaving all the figures without paint!

The choice of colours therefore has been quite limited so that I can do it fast. I have painted them in batchs of 3 or 4.

The list of colours used are:
Game Color
  • Terracota - for armour
  • Tinny Tin - for metal
  • Bright Bronze - for gold
  • Wolf Grey - for Crux Terminator
  • Black
  • Charred Brown - base coat for purity seal patchs
  • Magic Blue - power weapon
Panzer Aces
  • USMC Tankcrew - eyes and lenses
Model Color
  • Gunmetal Grey - for metal
  • Beige Brown - highlight for purity seal patchs
Citadel
  • Xereus Purple - decorative blood drops
  • Mephiston Red - armour highlight
Game Ink
  • Skin Wash
  • Brown
Army Painter Quickshade
  • Dark Tone
  • Strong Tone
The technique is:
  1. Paint all base colours
  2. Wash on recesses
  3. Highlights
Basically, I try to be very careful not to go out of the areas on step #1 so that after the wash I just need to apply the highlights and be done with it.
Of course that means that the miniatures are quite flat, but more than enough -I believe- for a casual tabletop game. Looking at how fast I can paint, I believe that spending 2 hours per figure delivers an acceptable result.

Painted in 2019



No comments:

Post a Comment