Wednesday 19 September 2018

Ettin

For today I have another of the great oldhammer style monsters sculpted by Diego Serrate, the Ettin. In this case, due to the sheer size of it, I asked him to deliver it in resin as opposed to metal that I chose for the rest of the figures. I think it was a great choice as the details were captured perfectly and there was not a single error in the figure. I do not know who is the manufacturer for Diego, but they rock!

This figure stands quite tall, you will see on the family photo that I will post in a few weeks, it is taller than the Tainted Troll and it's almost as the Shaggoth.

It was a bit challenging to paint it, because it is mainly flesh, wood and leather; all brownish colours, which can make the figure just a blur of different shades of brown. I tried my best to differentiate each part and to tone up and down the colours to make sure they were not all mixed, there are also plenty of glazes to give a bit of colour to some areas of the flesh to show the decay of Chaos or some latent mutations. I hope that all of this effort has payed off, as I look at the figure, I do not see just a blur of the same colour so I think I manage to achieve what I wanted, but you tell me.

To break a little bit the more or less empty base, I put in a familiar that was given as a free perk on the Kickstarter, as it is pointing somewhere, I think it adds a little nice effect as the Ettin does not look like the sharpest mind around.

I think the nicest part of the figure are the faces, in particular, the Cyclops one, with the massive eye. I tried my best to make a fully detailed eye, there is a close-up in which you can see that I painted the little veins around it and some light reflection, it's the first time that I do it and I can say that I will try it again as I liked the effect.

As a last note I will mention that these photos have been made with a lightbox from Flying Tiger that cost me 5€, so that I could retire the home-made one that I have been using since 2015. The pictures have been taken with a phone, but I think they have more or less the same quality as before, and the process is simply ten times faster.

'Nuff said, I will let the pics speak for themselves!














Painted in 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment