Sunday 24 December 2023

Infantry Detachment (I)

Last post of painted miniatures of the year and I am bringing 19 bases!

I was only able to accomplish this because I am super hyped with the game, you need to paint infantry before using them and overall it took me only 4 hours!

Painting recipe

I have decided to paint my Legions Imperialis army as Sons of Horus, similar to the one I own for 28mm. I have therefore followed a very similar colour palette, although of course a bit streamlined for the scale. The basic idea here is not to use a single highlight, just to paint base colours and let the scale do the rest, there are so many that nobody will notice and anyway people are looking at the Titans. You can even notice that in one of the Command bases I started to do highlights but then stopped because I decided that it was not worth the effort.

Infantry's recipe is:

  1. base coat black
  2. base coat green
  3. thinned down agrax over the whole miniature
  4. paint black all details (boltgun, shoulders, etc)
  5. metal for some details on weapons
  6. gold for some details on the captains
  7. sepia shade for the gold
  8. red for cloak, crests and other minor details
  9. blue for plasma guns (not pictured in the photo as I forgot it)
The steps for the bases are:
  1. base coat black
  2. "wet" dry brush neutral grey
  3. dry brush wolf grey
  4. dotted random details with parasite brown
  5. black on the rims




Once the recipe was clear, I painted all of the miniatures that can be seen here in about 4 hours. Painted them directly on the sprue and then carefully clip and attach them to the already painted bases. It was a bit tedious but fast.
The set is just 18 bases but with provides a few extras, so I decided to assemble another extra Infantry base by using a plasma gun, to be honest, it is so difficult to notice the difference between plasma and boltgun that nobody will see it. In fact, I had forgotten to paint a blue stripe on top of the plasma guns and just realized that when taking the pictures. I have fixed that now.
Lastly, after painting these I realized that I actually need another box of Infantry in order to file a complete Demi-company, so I bought another one that is now basecoated and ready to be painted, although that will be a job for 2024.

Painted in 2023













2 comments: