Tuesday 7 April 2020

Baneblade (II): painting

It took me a while, but I have finally made some progress with the eight variants of the Baneblade.
Even though I am locked at home like everyone else, family obligations are taking most of my time these days, so my painting time is almost null.
In this step, I have managed to block all the basic colours, painted the Hybrid and basically have it ready for the weathering.
I am not after an extremely weathered look, I just want it to look old. Kind of like it was stolen by the Cult from a storage facility and has had poor maintenance. Therefore, I will favour a dusty look and I will try to contain myself from adding too many scratches, as opposed to my Sons of Horus Army.

I wanted to paint it with urban camo pattern. But, as I do not own an aero, I needed to do it with spray. First, I base coated the tank in black using GW Black Spray. Then, I masked the camo pattern and sprayed Army Painter grey. Without making it a fully consistent coat, to make sure it looks granular in some areas, as if it was sprayed.

After that, I painted all the metals, lights and minor details. Then, I just needed to highlight ribbons and plates.

I did not want to make it look like "too Genestealer", therefore, there is just a single sign of it, barely visible. The idea is that the Cult is not showing itself out openly, so the tank could pass for a poorly maintained Imperial one, and only when it is really close you can see the Cult icon. Which looks like it has been sprayed white on top of a purple stripe on the front.

As a final touch, I added a few decals. It has been years since I don't use decals, but I thought that for the tank it was the right choice.

To highlight the myriad of ribbons and all the plates, I decided to use an enamel wash with white spirit rather than regular wash and edge highlight. The wash I used leaves a dusty, brownish shape, which is the kind of look I wanted. You can see a picture of the wash from AK interactive below.



Next steps are scratches and weathering. For that I will be using streaming grime enamel wash and pigments.

I hope you like it!


Baneblade




Banehammer




Banesword




Doomhammer




Hellhammer




Shadowsword




Stormlord




Stormsword




I hope to have the weathering done by end of the month, let's see...

No comments:

Post a Comment