Monday 11 September 2023

Mini airbrush

Hello folks!


Since airbrush started to be popular a few years ago I always wanted to get one but limitations in terms of space, noise and other factors were an impediment that I could not overcome. Luckily for people like me, there are a few mini airbrushes out there in the market that are super easy to pack, cheap and not too loud that on the paper seem like a perfect fit. So the other day I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy one.

  1. This model for 60€
  2. Cleaning pot very similar to this one from my local hobby shop for about 18€
  3. Vallejo Thinner for 7.5€
  4. Vallejo Cleaner for 7.5€
For a total of less than 100€ I now had an airbrush that I could safely store and use and I could experiment with, that's great!

I am super noob in terms of airbrush, having used it only once before when a member of the ITGC Berlin  was kind enough to let me use his to basecoat a few tanks. Still, he did all the hard work (preparation, cleaning and mixing) and I just pressed the button!

Last weekend I finally found the time to pop it open and test it. I decided to basecoat a Leviathan Dreadnought and try out a bit of shading on a base. After all, how bad could I possibly screw that one up? You can be the judge.



My key learnings from the session where: super fast to set up and pack and not very loud to use. In less than 15 minutes I had my dread basecoated including one highlight! 

There are still lots of things to improve though. I  do not know how to control the flow properly, I need to figure out where to mix paint and thinner so that when I pour it into the cup it does not go all over the airbrush and lastly learn what is the process to change colour "fast". I used 4 colours and it was a bit messy the process to clean and change - any tips or hints are really appreciated!

But overall, I am super hyped with it as it fits exactly my requirements in terms of size and setup. I am now really looking forward to experiment a bit more and not only do basecoat.

After I was done I carefully disassembled it and put it back again, so that I learn better how to handle it. I am now really looking forward to my next painting session!

No comments:

Post a Comment